Tuesday, May 30

Writing a blog

Crud I write about this blog and writing a lot, and this post will be no different! I will continue to plumb this particular subject until I feel as though my footing is firm. Anyway, a friend decided to shut down his LiveJournal a few days ago. I read his reasons a few days ago. Among these reason was, what I understood as, a general loss of faith in writing. When he was posting to his blog, he wasn't doing other things, better, more useful things. Wow, looks like an opportunity to consider his position with relation to myself.

What, then, am I doing posting here? All the time I spend thinking of posts and later writing them is time not spent considering how I could be helping others. To be honest, I have to say I probably would not be thinking about those things, but, by maintaining Spice of Life, I choosing to devote time and thought in a manner that prevents it from being spent on other things. So, I most think there is some value to posting here, and I think the value of my blog can be traced to two sources.

The first relates to an earlier post, 'Posting to 'Spice of Life'' (put up in April if you care that much). In it I expressed my fear that posting was becoming an end in itself rather than the means to something more. Well, I actually confronted the example that post contained. I spoke to the teacher about her anecdote. She reassured me that she personally would always go for the cat rather than the picture but justified the character's decision to save the picture because it is art that allows us to find meaning in our lives. Well, that's reason number one for my continued upkeep of Spice of Life. My postings are attempts, sometimes successful and sometimes not, to find meaning in my actions and life.

My preference for absolutism, which I alluded to in an earlier post, is the second reason for this blog. If I believe that there is definitely something right and something wrong, I need to figure out which is which. Writing here is an opportunity to consider whatever issue or decision has enveloped my thoughts.

What do you know? A fairly firm position and post that doesn't end with some variation on "I'll have to think about it some more." Cool. Either I'm maturing or becoming more certain and arrogant.

Also, I'm sorry to see him stop posting to LiveJournal. His thoughts were interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!

Just thought I'd let you know that I've been lurking around your blog for a little while now, and I must say that you write very well. You also bring up interesting points... and make me get on dictionary.com. Book-dictionaries are no fun.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi. And I'm sorry that your friend stopped his blog. :(

Your most favourite cousin,
Kaitlin